Saflok 700® is a concealed fix profile with an effective cover width of 700mm. It is an angular interlocking trapezoidal rib profile, and can be roll-formed on site.
Safintra 0,50mm thick Saflok 700® Colorplus® AZ150 interlocking roof sheeting fixed to steel internal purlins at 1900mm centres and ridge/eave purlins at 1700mm centres using Saflok 700® clips which are fastened to steel purlins with Fixtite™ or Safintra approved wafer head self-tapping fasteners, all in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation.
The sheeting will be a double interlocking concealed fix Saflok 700® profile as manufactured by Safintra. Roll-formed in continuous lengths from certified G550 steel.
The profile shall be roll-formed with 4 ribs and centres not exceeding 233mm and a cover width of 700mm. The male rib is to include spurs to ensure a double interlocking action with adjacent sheets. The minimum rib height will be 41mm. Two stiffening ribs are incorporated in each pan.
Saflok 700® can be curved or bullnosed to a minimum internal radius of 450mm. Reverse cranking is not possible.
Note that when using Aluminium material on galvanized steel purlins, the use of an isolation tape or similar to prevent the bridging of the two dissimilar materials is recommended. Should the two metals have direct contact it will ultimately result in the manifestation of galvanic corrosion, and the service life of the aluminium will be compromised.
Material and coating thickness can vary regionally. Consult your local Safintra branch for availability.
PURLIN SPACING & DRAINAGE
Span tables are for Saflok 700® with light foot traffic only. It is based on 1.5kN downward load and 2kPa negative wind loading. The span table below refers to the maximum recommended spans. For further information, consult Safintra’s Technical Department and SANS 10160-3.
*0.80 Aluminium-Zinc Material is rolled in G275.
Saflok 700® clips are calculated at 330g per clip – You will require approximately 1.5 clips per m².
The Saflok 700® Clip 35 (as a whole) and the anchor mechanism are separately design registered with the following numbers: For the complete clip: South African Design Appl. No. F2017/00455; and for the anchor mechanism: South African Design Appl. No. F2017/00456*
*refer to the Safintra Technical Department for more information
Saflok 700® sheets can be cranked and bull-nosed but not reverse cranked. The minimum radius is 450mm. On-site cranking is available on request.
For the Saflok 700® profile natural springing occurs at a 36m radius in the convex and at a 60m radius in the concave. It is important to reduce purlin spacings by 20% when spring curing a roof. Oil canning may be expected.
LENGTH AND ROOF PITCH
Saflok 700® can be ordered in any practical length as per customer requirements. On-site rolling is recommended for lengths in excess of 13.2 metres, limited by space constrictions and building design. The minimum roof pitch when using Saflok 700® is 2° on steel and 3° on timber.
Clip-in marks and oil canning might be visible on high pitched roofs or vertical applications. This visual effect might not be aesthetically pleasing in a residential application.Saflok 700® can be ordered in any practical length as per customer requirements. On-site rolling is recommended for lengths in excess of 13.2 metres. The minimum roof pitch when using Saflok 700® is 2° on steel and 3° on timber.
Rolling straight onto a roof
It is impossible to roll-form straight onto a roof using a scaffolding ramp. The limitations are building height and space needed to roll. A departure angle of 10° is the maximum allowed at any time. A greater angle would damage the sheet when leaving he mill and again when bending to settle onto the roof.
A length variation range of +10mm and -0mm, and a width tolerance of +-3mm is permissible.
Where insulation is to be installed, you may need to increase the length of the fasteners given below, depending on the density and thickness of the insulation and spacer.
When the fastener is properly tightened:
• Into metal: There should be at least three threads protruding past the purlin you are fixing to, but the shank guard must not reach that purlin.
• Into timber: The fastener must penetrate the timber by at least 30mm.
Please note that clips can be manafactured in alternative metals to ensure metal compatability.
SAFLOK 700® CLIP 20
The Saflok 700® Clip 20 incorporates two anchors to clasp the two inner ribs and a dual action gooseneck to positively hold down the male-female joint.
- The Saflok 700® clip 20 is the recommended clip for Saflok 700® onto timber purlins.
- The patented design is strong and durable.
- Suitable for installation on a tubular frame.
- The entire clip is manufactured from 0.8mm Aluminium-Zinc coated steel for compatibility with sheeting.
- The extended base plate is self-aligning
SAFLOK 700® CLIP 35
The fully interlocking Saflok 700® Clip 35 incorporates two anchors to clasp the two inner ribs and a dual-action gooseneck to positively hold down the male-female joint.
- The Saflok 700® clip 35 demonstrates an excellent hold down capability in negative wind uplift load tests.
- Stiffener ribs on a 0.8mm base plate add formidable strength, specifically over the gooseneck.
- Full-width engagement on the gooseneck male rib joint.
- Five fastening points for strength.
- Engineer-designed geometry of the anchor unit for optimal performance under high wind loads and foot traffic.
- The entire clip is manufactured from Aluminium-Zinc coated steel for compatibility with sheeting.
SAFLOK 700® INSTALLATION
- Starting with the female rib first, align the first row of clips and fasten on all five fastening positions.
- Lay the first sheet down over the clips. Starting at the eave side, clip the sheet onto the clips by first engaging the anchors and then engaging the female rib over the gooseneck and male rib.
- Engage the gooseneck of the next row of clips over the male rib and fasten on all five fasteners. Repeat from step 2.
Concealed fix side cladding must be pierced fixed for prevention of sheet movement due to gravity. Pierce fix the bottom and top of the sheets. Internal pierce fixing may be necessary on longer sheets. Cladding is to be fixed in the pan of the sheet with #12x25mm Fixtite™ Fasteners - Class 4 only.
During installation, clean the roof daily by removing all swarf, pop rivets and unused fasteners or any other debris
SPECIALISED FIXING ACCESSORIES
Polysliders are specifically designed for polycarbonate or fibreglass sheeting and allow for a large amount of thermal expansion. The components are designed to work in conjunction with a saddle washer which is positively fixed to the sliding bracket. This clip is also used for Saflok 700® sheeting around the perimeters and exposed areas of the building, where high wind load conditions prevail.
Overhangs are prone to a build-up of wind pressure and are considered to be the weak point of any roof. All overhangs larger than 500mm need to be positively fixed with a saddle washer to allow for expansion and contraction. These include canopies, walkways, lean-to roofs, loading bays and decorative roofs.
- Align the first row of the Polyslider baseplates and fasten through the pre-drilled holes in the three positions where the slider brackets attach.
- Connect the slider brackets to the base plate and lay the first sheet over the slider brackets.
- Place saddle washers over the first three ribs above the purlin, and fasten the saddle washers through the ribs into the slider brackets.
- Place the next row of baseplates and fasten. Overlap the end fastening positions to self-align the row of baseplates. Repeat from step 2.
All Polycarbonate sheet installations (including, but not limited to in-plane installations) with Safintra roofing/cladding profiles, should be done in accordance to SANS 10237:2017 (Annexure E Rooflights).
The bonded saddle washer can only be fixed from the top.
SPECIALISED FLASHING INSTALLATION
Safintra recommends the use of Flashing Slider Brackets for very long sheets. Please consult our Technical Department for assistance.
F10 BRACKET FOR FLASHINGS
The f 10 brackets are used to fix flashing onto Saflok profiles without drilling directly into the sheet. The bracket allows for minimal expansion.
This clip is positively fixed. Care should be taken when detailing industrial length sheeting and flashings due to thermal expansion.
F10 Bracket for longitudinal flashings on Saflok® profiles.
F10 Bracket for transverse flashings on Saflok® profiles.
CLIP-ON SLIDERS FOR FLASHINGS
The clip-on slider clips onto the rib of the Saflok profile to fix longitudinal flashing (Barge, Sidewall) to the sheeting without the need for fasteners piercing the sheet. The clip will allow for more thermal expansion that the F10 bracket.
Clip-on Slider bracket for longitudinal flashings on Saflok profiles.
2-PIECE SLIDER FOR FLASHINGS
The 2-piece sliders are used to fix transverse flashings (Apex, Ridge, Headwall) to the sheeting without drilling directly into the sheet. This bracket will allow for up to 50mm of thermal expansion.
2-piece Slider bracket for transverse flashings on Saflok profiles.
SAFLOK STARTER BRACKET
The Saflok starter bracket is used to secure the first and/or last rib of the edge sheet without restricting thermal expansion.
SAFLOK 700 LIPPING & BENDING TOOL
The bending tool is used to bend the pan up on the ridge side of the sheet to create a water barrier. (Also known as the tanking or turning up of the sheet). The lipping tool is used on the eave side of the sheet to create a turned down lip (Also known as the lipping or turning down of the sheet).
Saflok 700 bending tool application
Saflok 700 lipping tool application